Wednesday 9 September 2009

Welcome to your doom!

Good evening. My name's Jimbo and this is my blog dedicated to classic video games. For just about all my life, I've been a fan of computer and video games. My first computer was an Acorn Electron. Since then, I've owned (or we've owned as a family) a Sega Master System, a Sinclair Spectrum +2, a Sega Mega Drive (and later Mega-CD add-on - woo-hoo!), a Commodore Amiga A500, a Super Nintendo, a Game Boy, a Game Gear, a Sony PlayStation, a Sega Dreamcast, a Sony Playstation 2, a Nintendo Gameboy Advance, a Nintendo DS, Wii, Sony PSP and Sony PlayStation 3. As well as that, I've owned a number of Windows-compatible PCs (from Windows '95 to Vista). Phew! Listing them all like that has made me realise that I've actually owned quite a lot of equipment.


Although I own some of the current generation consoles and enjoy using them muchly, I have a special soft spot for what many people like to call retro games, or old school games. Basically old games. Admittedly, a large number of old games were simply useless, and some that were once considered good have just not aged well. But, there are loads of gems amongst the thousands of games that have been produced over the last few decades. Timeless games that are just as great to play now as they were back in the eighties and nineties. Sometimes I ask myself whether I now play old games and occasionally buy the old console/cartridge as a way of holding onto or attempting to relive my youth. Is it a way of keeping the past current and denying the fact that I'm in my thirties now? This is probably a subject I'll discuss at a later date. But, until then, here's a little bit about what I want to do with this blog. Firstly, I'll mostly be reviewing the games and machines of old. I'll revisit some of the games that became a part of my childhood and also introduce myself to some classic games that I've never had the opportunity to play before. I'll also have a look at new games with a retro twist. And there are loads of other things I did have planned for my blog but can't think of them now (that's probably another sign I'm getting old!). Anyway, that'll do for my rather unexciting introduction.

Let the (old) games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment